[cdi-dev] CDI 1.2 Implementation

Jozef Hartinger jharting at redhat.com
Tue Jan 28 06:13:13 EST 2014

Hi all,

as many of you know already, Weld 2.2 is going to be the reference
implementation of the upcoming maintenance release of the CDI specification.

CDI is an EE specification. That implies that the CDI TCK which
validates a CDI implementation has to be run against an EE container not
just the CDI implementation itself (e.g. Weld Core).

So far, both existing releases of CDI (1.0 and 1.1) were always part of
a major Java EE release (6 and 7). It therefore made sense to require
the CDI RI to run as part of the GlassFish application server since
GlassFish is the RI for each recent Java EE version.

However, with CDI 1.2 the situation is different. Since CDI 1.2 is not
part of a major Java EE release, we see no reason to require the CDI 1.2
RI to run specifically on GlassFish at the end of the maintenance
release window. Instead, any Java EE 7 certified application server
should be suitable. Therefore, we are going to use WildFly
(http://wildfly.org/) as the runtime for CDI 1.2 RI and TCK.

Note that this by no means defines which Java EE servers will or will
not support CDI 1.2. This proposal only defines which Java EE server
will be used at the end of the CDI 1.2 MR effort to validate the RI and
the TCK.

Regards,

Jozef