[cdi-dev] Regarding CDI-280 and beans terminology

Antoine Sabot-Durand antoine at sabot-durand.net
Mon Mar 3 11:20:21 EST 2014

Hi all,

I really think we should work for terminology simplification but I wonder if it’s realistic in our timeframe.  According to me the easy part is :

 - « Bean Class »  for the class that gets Scanned : *Bean Class* (_quite obvious_)
 - « Bean Metadata for Bean<T> : *Bean Metadata* using « Bean » here is confusing)
 - « Required Type » for the type of injection type
 - «  Session Bean »  for EJB bean

Now the more complex part is for the biggest one. From my understanding we have 2 concept with at least 3 different names :

- Contextual Instance = Bean Instance = Bean
- Contextual Reference = Client Proxy = Bean Reference

I I’m not wrong on this classification, we should really choose an official name for these 2  concepts

The term « Bean » could be reserved to mean one to the other when difference is not relevant…

What do you think ?

Antoine Sabot-Durand
Twitter : @antoine_sd
CDI co-spec lead & eco-system development
Agorava tech lead