[cdi-dev] [VOTE] Using @Priority to order events instead of adding a parameter in @Observes

Antoine Sabot-Durand antoine at sabot-durand.net
Tue Oct 28 04:56:14 EDT 2014

To add events ordering feature we have two choices:

1) Use @Priority from common annotation specification (JSR-250)  (vote +1)
pros:
- more consistent with other ordering mechanism we already have in CDI (Interceptors, decorators, Alternatives)
- more Java EE consistent

cons:
- time consumed in JSR 250 MR participation (@Priority must be update to support parameter for target)
- as @Priority is not part of Java SE, CDI light on java SE will have to add the jsr250 jar as dependency only to have this annotation (which will make it a little less light)

2) Add a parameter to @Observes annotation to give order to an observer (vote -1)
pros:
- works out of the box (we can add this property without ask for other specs modification)
- avoid two annotations to declare an ordered observer (simpler usage)

cons:
- less Java EE spirit
- could be seen as an inconsistency with the way we order Interceptors, Decorators and Alternatives.

Who can vote?  Everybody registered to this ML can vote. All votes will be binding
How to vote? Answer this mail and vote +1 (for @Priority) 0 or -1(for parameter in @Observes)
Vote will be closed in 72 hours