[cdi-dev] async activation on observers, why not CompletableFuture

José Paumard jose.paumard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 15:46:38 EDT 2015

> What's your proposal? EJB API is quite nice to use and it integrates
smoothly with Future<>, not sure I get what's your issue is here.
EJB has me to write this kind of code :

return es.submit(myTask) ;

Because this is a synchronous call, that has to return a Future. But on the
other hand this is purely tehcnical code, that cant be put in the
framework, since one can call directly an EJB method. So the return type
has to be the one of the EJB method.

With events the situation is different. On the calling side, I write

completableFuture = event.fireAsync(payload) ; // type is
CompletionStage<probably void since there are many observers and an allOf
call>

On the observing side I can write :

public T observes(@Observes payload) { return t ; }

And the framework will take care of wrapping this t in a
CompletableFuture.allOf(...) with all the other observers to return it. So
I dont have to deal myself with the technical aspects of calling ES myself.
IMHO it leads to easier to write patterns.

José