[cdi-dev] Feedback - CDI bootstrap API (CDI-26)

Jozef Hartinger jharting at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 03:18:33 EST 2015

Hi John, comments inline:

On 02/11/2015 06:02 PM, John D. Ament wrote:
> Jozef,
>
> Most of what you see there is taken from the original doc, since
> everyone seemed to be in agreement.  I think the map is just a
> safeguard in case of additional boot options available in some
> implementations (e.g. I think OWB/OpenEJB have some options..
> currently OpenEJB supports an embedded CDI boot mode).
No, I am fine with the map. What I am questioning is the type of the
map. Usually, data structures with a similar purpose use Strings as
their keys. This applies to ServletContext attributes, InvocationContext
data, Servlet request/session attributes and others. I am therefore
wondering whether there is a usecase for the proposed unbound key
signature or not.

> We spoke a few times about BeanManager vs CDI.  BeanManager was
> preferable since there's no easy way to get the the instance, CDI is
> easier to get and more aligned with how you would get it.  Usually
> people expect the BeanManager to be injected or available via JNDI,
> neither would be the case here.
If CDI 2.0 targets Java SE then this container initialization API will
become something that ordinary application developers use to start/stop
CDI in their applications. It therefore cannot be considered an SPI but
instead should be something easy to use. On the other hand, BeanManager
is definitely an SPI. It is used in extension, frameworks and generally
for integration. Not much by applications directly. Therefore, I don't
see how the container bootstrap API and BeanManager fit together. IMO
the bootstrap API should expose something that makes common tasks
(obtaining a contextual reference and firing and event) easy, which the
CDI class does.

Plus do not forget that BeanManager can be obtained easily using
CDI.getBeanManager().

> Yes, this is the container start API.  Sounds like you have some good
> ideas for things like XML configuration or programmatic configuration,
> both of which are being tracked under separate tickets.  One idea
> might be for an optional param in the map to control packages to
> scan/ignore, in that map.
I am wondering whether this configuration should be something optional
built on top of the bootstrap API or whether we should consider making
it mandatory. Either way, we cannot add the bootstrap API to the spec
without explicitly defining how it behaves. My implicit assumption of
the proposal is that the container is supposed to scan the entire
classpath for explicit or implicit bean archives (including e.g.
rt.jar), discover beans, fire extensions, etc. This worries me as this
default behavior is far from being lightweight, which CDI for Java SE
initially aimed to be.

> We didn't want to over load the CDI interface.  It already does a
> lot.  This is really SPI code, CDI even though it's in the spi package
> is used in a lot of application code.
I would personally prefer to have it all in one place. Having
CDIContainer, CDIContainerLoader, CDI and CDIProvider makes it more
difficult to know when to use what.