[cdi-dev] DefinitionException vs DeploymentException

Mark Struberg struberg at yahoo.de
Tue Mar 3 08:54:42 EST 2015

Hi!

I think we currently fail to have a clean notion about what should be a DefinitionException and what should be a DeploymentException.

It seems like most of the TCK in this regard is just modelling Weld behaviour and follows no whatever logic.

E.,g. we have 2 tests doing almost the same:
org.jboss.cdi.tck.tests.extensions.lifecycle.bbd.broken.passivatingScope.AddingPassivatingScopeTest
Which according to the TCK should throw a DefinitionException

and

org.jboss.cdi.tck.tests.context.passivating.broken.NonPassivationManagedBeanHasPassivatingScopeTest
which according to the TCK should throw a DeploymentException

But BOTH actually do the same: they test if some managed bean implements Serializable. And both do this during bootstrap.

Am I blind and don’t see the difference, or is all this just madly broken?

LieGrue,
strub