[cdi-dev] It seems we missed a point in CDIProvider enhancement

John D. Ament john.d.ament at gmail.com
Thu May 14 07:26:36 EDT 2015

At some point, I had this issue noted somewhere.  I guess I never brought
it up on the ML.

The behavior of the RI makes no sense IMHO.  If someone else calls
initialize of the CDIProvider I'm working on, now my state is all messed
up.  Not good behavior.

Anyways, if we do #1 it's clear that this initialization doesn't belong in
CDIProvider.

If we do #2, it'll be bad experience for whoever's using the provider.

I'd prefer a third option.  Revert the change that allows you to call
initialize() multiple times, and instead add a CDIProviderFactory (or
equivalent) that creates new CDIProviders.  You may call initialize on
those instances to get new containers.  Oh then shutdown can go back on the
CDIProvider as well.

John