[cdi-dev] Adding / vetoing CDI extensions programmatically

Antonin Stefanutti antonin at stefanutti.fr
Fri Oct 2 05:41:36 EDT 2015

> On 02 Oct 2015, at 11:25, Antoine Sabot-Durand <antoine at sabot-durand.net> wrote:
>
> There's a solution at implementation level. Since extension developed for 1.2 contains unknown classes in 1.0, the impl could catch the "class not found" exception on an extension send a warning to user and don't use the extension. In other way instead of letting the app crash, manage the crash by ignoring the extension.

Indeed. Before 2.0 (considering that feature is available), relying on a solution at implementation level would be the only solution. But that would require back-porting that solution to older versions of the implementations, since that is the original requirement. In my specific use case, I can have a CDI 1.0 and CDI 2.0 extensions so spec level / end-user solution would work. It’s preferable if possible that the compatibility knowledge be captured functionally rather than relying on an exception mechanism.