[cdi-dev] CDI-508 - Which java classes can be managed beans

John D. Ament john.d.ament at gmail.com
Tue May 3 20:32:25 EDT 2016

All,

I think I had an action item to get this clarified, not 100% sure, but let
me give this a shot.

Tomas raised a PR for CDI-508 to clarify which classes are meant to be
managed beans.  You can find that PR here:
https://github.com/cdi-spec/cdi/pull/282/

The line that doesn't sound right to me in the change is to go from:

It is not a non-static inner class.

It is not a non-static nested class.

I'll use the java programming language tutorial as a point of reference,
you can read the page I'll refer to here:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/javaOO/nested.html

Basically, non-static nested classes are AKA inner classes.  The term
"non-static inner class" shouldn't exist, and that means the original text
doesn't make sense, and should probably be inferred as "It is not an inner
class"

>From reading this part of the spec, it becomes unreadable due to the double
negative (probably why the aka exists).  My proposal was to change the line
to instead read (in a positive way) "It is a static nested class" but I can
also understand if we want to do this in an exclusion pattern rather than
an inclusion pattern.

Thoughts?

John