[cdi-dev] Extensions and spec-related observer method injection points question

Antoine Sabot-Durand antoine at sabot-durand.net
Fri Feb 17 04:52:59 EST 2017

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 10:36 AM Martin Kouba <mkouba at redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 17.2.2017 v 10:19 Antoine Sabot-Durand napsal(a):
> > Hi all,
> >
> > First Laird, thanks you for all your feedback on CDI, they are very
> helpful.
> > This section is indeed not clear, but my understanding is this one:
> >
> > 1) As we mention the fact that BeanManager.fire() can be invoked in an
> > extension lifecycle event observer, it makes sense to say observer on
> > lifecycle payload are supported in extension, otherwise firing an event
> > during the BeforeBeanDiscovery lifecycle event for instance would be
> > useless since the only CDI elements "discovered" at this step are
> > portable extensions
> >
> > I tested in various Weld and OWB version, observers on non lifecycle
> > payload are called when BeanManager.fire() is called
> >
> > 2) If extension can contain observers with custom payload that can be
> > invoked during container bootstrapping, it is quite understandable that
> > adding parameters to these observer can bring issue: matching bean may
> > not have been discovered yet and will result in an error.
>
> That's a good point.
>
> > So for me, it makes sense to say that having an observer injecting
> something else than
> > BeanManager in an extension is not safe and shouldn't be supported
> >  In other words
> >
> > void MyObserver(@Observes MyPayload payload) { ... )
> >
> > and
> >
> > void MyObserver(@Observes MyPayload payload, BeanManager bm) { ... )
> >
> > are supported in an extension, but
> >
> > void MyObserver(@Observes MyPayload payload, MyBean bean) { ... )
> >
> > is not because MyBean may be not discovered yet when observer will be
> > triggered.
> >
> > Weld doesn't support it
>
> Are you sure Antoine? I quicly checked the Weld 3 codebase and
> "myObserver(@Observes MyPayload payload, MyBean bean)" should work. We
> only check injection points for container lifecycle events...

Oops, you're right, I was a bit too fast in my writing, what is not
supported in Weld (tested with 2.3.2, 2.4.2 and 3.0.0-CR1)and works in OWB
is

void MyObserver(@Observes @Initialized(ApplicationScoped.class) Object
payload, MyBean bean) { ... )

Weld throws the following exception:

WELD-000409: Observer method for container lifecycle event can only inject
BeanManager

Which is not very clear since the payload is not exactly a container
lifecycle event...