[dna-dev] JNDI implementation

Randall Hauch rhauch at redhat.com
Tue Jul 22 14:47:22 EDT 2008

There was a question in the #jbossdna IRC about a JNDI
implementation.  I knew JBoss had an implementation (at least one that
works within a VM) that could be used by DNA, but I wasn't sure where
it was.  There's a "Naming" project in the main image on http://www.jboss.org/projects/
, but it's grayed out.

Found the JBoss Naming Service (JNS) project under the "jbossas/
projects/naming" folder in SVN.  It doesn't appear to have top-level
project status like the microcontainer (which is also located in the
same "jbossas/projects" folder), but rather it's considered a "module"
of AS (along with JBoss JTA, JBoss CMP, etc.; see http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki
  for a list of the modules, quite a few of which we'd want to use).
There's also a wiki page (http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/JBossNS), but
that doesn't really explain how to set it up with the Microcontainer.
We'll have to investigate that.

Anyway, using the Microcontainer and setting it up with some of the
"standard" Java services (like Naming, JTS, etc.) is definitely the
way to go, and while it's new territory for us, it isn't for others at
JBoss.  We'll just have to talk to the right people when the time comes.

BR,

Randall