[dna-dev] Non-XA compliant resource participation in distributed transactions

Mark Little mlittle at redhat.com
Thu May 15 04:53:39 EDT 2008

Compensating transactions do not have the same failure semantics as
ACID transactions with LRCO (last resource commit optimisation). With
a compensating transaction you attempt to undo, but the work has
really been done. It may not be possible to completely reverse the
work that was done, without running into a cascading rollback scenario
where you are chasing all of the entities that read the "wrong data"
to get them to undo that "read", which may not be possible at all.

There is no one size that fits all: that's why we (as a transaction
industry) have been working on a variety of extended transaction
models over the years. Each is aimed for a specific use case and
offers a trade-off.

BTW, JBossTS supports compensating transactions (actually a variety of
them) with the same underlying transaction engine.

Mark.