[dna-dev] Re: JIRA and Wiki

Randall Hauch rhauch at redhat.com
Thu Nov 20 17:40:57 EST 2008

It has been our policy that we create JIRA issues for each task and
feature, and that those issues be where we capture discussions,
requirements, and design notes for those bugs and features.

If a feature is large enough that it warrants documentation, then
please add that documentation to the Reference Guide.  The docbooks
are under source control, are updated and included in each release,
and are available for multiple releases (so people can go back and
reference older versions).  This is also what most new members/users
will start with, so it should make sense to newbies but should be
complete enough for reference material for experts.   (And the code
should be well-documented.)

We often have discussions on IRC, but that's not captured
automatically, so if something important is said, we usually capture
the important bits and add to the JIRA (or send in an email to the
group).

I hope we do not go down the road of documenting things in multiple
places.  Generally JavaDocs have much more detail and are obviously at
the code level, while the docbook content should be the higher-level
descriptions.  I also hope we stay away from large design documents -
we basically follow an agile approach and let the software evolve as
the needs arise.  Yes, we have architectural goals, but those are
hopefully covered in the official docs.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the wiki.  The new JBoss.org wiki is
much better than the old one, it still has a lot to be desired.  Most
people unfamiliar with the project will find it difficult to find
things on the wiki.  And too many times I've seen the wiki pages get
out of date.  Ours are probably already out of date.  However,
considering that the new wiki is dramatically improved over the old
one, I would be interested to hear everyone's opinion on it.

Thoughts?  Opinions?

Best regards,

Randall