[errai-dev] RFC: public API, package split

Heiko Braun myownwastebin at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 15 05:19:52 EST 2010

Before we branch the 1.0 release, I would suggest we split the public API according to the following
guidelines:

<module>.client.api.*:  the general client API for anyone working with errai components
<module>.client.framework.*:  module extension points, considered more like an SPI

The idea is to have two levels of public API, clearly identified by subpackage names.
One for working with errai (api.*) and one for extending errai (framework.*).

This allows users to focus on what they need, expecting most implementations to rely on the
client API (api.*), whereas integration with 3rd party technology would rely on the extension API (framework.*).

Javadocs should only be available for those subpackages and deprecation rules only allow
changes to that API in between major releases.

I've already prepared the workspaces module, but didn't touch the bus module yet.

Let me know what you think. Once we've come to an agreement, I would go ahead and prepare
the 1.0 release branch according to those guidelines.

/Heiko