[errai-dev] Demo cleanup on the 3.0 branch

Jonathan Fuerth jfuerth at redhat.com
Thu Apr 4 15:37:15 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

Pavel asked for feedback today on what he's done so far with the demos on the 3.0_p branch:

    https://github.com/pslegr/errai/tree/3.0_p/errai-demos

As you can see, there's still a subdirectory for errai-bus. Pavel said his intention is to keep the separation between bus, cdi, jpa, and so on.

Here's my feedback on what's there so far:

I'm not sure I'm keen on this "separation of demo topics" approach. We're not planning to keep a ton of demos in the project (we decided that together in last week's hangout). So I think it would be best to throw all the demo projects under a single directory.

One other thing that I think is different from what we had planned to do: in 3.0_p, the bus demos still depend on a parent POM. JDF required demos to have top-level poms (no reference to a parent), and we were planning to follow that. We can & should still have an errai-demos pom which refers to all the demos as submodules, so the demos are built when we build errai-parent. But we don't want the demo poms pointing back up to that parent.

I *do* think we should develop a 'depchain' or 'BOM' type pom that can be imported. These would be useful for demos, archetypes, and anybody's end-user project. We should probably have a separate depchain for each appserver we support (as7, eap6, tomcat, jetty). We should design these depchains so the demo poms are as small as possible (unfortunately, we can't import plugin configurations, so they will be somewhat larger than what we have now).

-Jonathan