[errai-dev] Demo cleanup on the 3.0 branch

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 22:22:01 EDT 2013

+1 to demos in a single sub-directory. This is pretty typical with most
projects to have a centralized "examples/" or "showcase/" directory.

Also +1 for import BOM.

Finally +1 for stack POMs. This is what I started with the errai-javaee-all
module. As far as I know it still works. Very helpful if users can pull in
a single dependency and have a working setup on a given container. I think
at this point it is safe to assume Servlet 3.0 API as well and use
web-fragment.xml to do any necessary servlet configurations. 2.5 config can
be documented as things stand now, but 3.0 should be assumed.

~Lincoln

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Jonathan Fuerth <jfuerth at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Pavel asked for feedback today on what he's done so far with the demos on
> the 3.0_p branch:
>
>     https://github.com/pslegr/errai/tree/3.0_p/errai-demos
>
> As you can see, there's still a subdirectory for errai-bus. Pavel said his
> intention is to keep the separation between bus, cdi, jpa, and so on.
>
> Here's my feedback on what's there so far:
>
> I'm not sure I'm keen on this "separation of demo topics" approach. We're
> not planning to keep a ton of demos in the project (we decided that
> together in last week's hangout). So I think it would be best to throw all
> the demo projects under a single directory.
>
> One other thing that I think is different from what we had planned to do:
> in 3.0_p, the bus demos still depend on a parent POM. JDF required demos to
> have top-level poms (no reference to a parent), and we were planning to
> follow that. We can & should still have an errai-demos pom which refers to
> all the demos as submodules, so the demos are built when we build
> errai-parent. But we don't want the demo poms pointing back up to that
> parent.
>
> I *do* think we should develop a 'depchain' or 'BOM' type pom that can be
> imported. These would be useful for demos, archetypes, and anybody's
> end-user project. We should probably have a separate depchain for each
> appserver we support (as7, eap6, tomcat, jetty). We should design these
> depchains so the demo poms are as small as possible (unfortunately, we
> can't import plugin configurations, so they will be somewhat larger than
> what we have now).
>
> -Jonathan

Lincoln Baxter, III
http://ocpsoft.org