[errai-dev] Demo cleanup on the 3.0 branch

Jonathan Fuerth jfuerth at redhat.com
Fri Apr 5 09:35:32 EDT 2013

On 2013-04-04, at 10:22 PM, Lincoln Baxter, III wrote:

> +1 to demos in a single sub-directory. This is pretty typical with most projects to have a centralized "examples/" or "showcase/" directory.
>
> Also +1 for import BOM.
>
> Finally +1 for stack POMs. This is what I started with the errai-javaee-all module. As far as I know it still works. Very helpful if users can pull in a single dependency and have a working setup on a given container.

The 'depchain' idea is something a little different from a BOM or a stack POM. It sits somewhere between: you would still import it (like we do with the JDF BOMs), but it contains actual dependencies (like the errai-javaee-all jar artifact). But because it's imported rather than depended on, it should be able to set certain things to provided scope. In this way, I hope we will be able to blacklist everything provided by the container, while at the same time more faithfully replicating the actual deployment environment (all in provided scope of course). Setting the provided scope 'just so' is something we can't accomplish with a jar-type dependency, nor a BOM in the JDF sense.

Of course, I'm only assuming this will work. It's something we need to sit down and try. If it works, I think it will simplify our demo and archetype POMs, and also make our DIY getting started experience much easier.

> I think at this point it is safe to assume Servlet 3.0 API as well and use web-fragment.xml to do any necessary servlet configurations. 2.5 config can be documented as things stand now, but 3.0 should be assumed.

I'm keen to try embedding AS 7/EAP 6 in GWT's dev mode. Dev Mode has a simple SPI for container management, and I'm hoping we can build an adapter to let any Arquillian container connector to be used with Dev Mode.

If we do that, I vote to up Errai's system requirements to "Servlet 3.0 or better." JSR 315 went final in December 2009. I really think it's just GWT's default embedded Jetty 6 that's blocking us from upgrading to this 3-year-old spec. :-)

-Jonathan