[errai-dev] fine grained authentication

Jonathan Fuerth jfuerth at redhat.com
Thu Jun 20 11:39:40 EDT 2013

This PageRequest interface is really similar to something Johannes Barop just contributed, but his was a private inner class of Navigation. The fact that this has cropped up twice in the past two days indicates that something is missing from the public API :)

But! Couldn't we just express the hasPermission method like this:

> PermissionStatus hasPermission(User user, Page page);

We could create the Page widget instance itself, write the @PageState fields to it, and then ask the permission resolver if we should be allowed to show it. This may be more convenient in many cases because of the type coercion that the framework does when writing page state fields. Does this make sense?

Going even further, why not use the exact same PermissionResolver interface as PicketLink? Then we can stick them in the shared package and reuse them between client and server. Since they're created by the bean manager, there's tons of stuff we could share between client and server simply by injecting the contextual information we need in order to make the decision.

I'm not saying they have to be shareable in all cases, but in many cases it should be possible. "Write it once!" is one of the Errai design principles--at least according to the marketing segment of our conference talks. ;-)

-Jonathan