[errai-dev] ErraiUI and i18n

Eric Wittmann eric.wittmann at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 16:23:45 EDT 2013

Alright, so I've started looking at this (thinking, mostly) and have
some comments.  At this point I think the most important thing (in terms
of getting me going on this) is the bundle file itself.  Need some
decisions on that score.

Where should the message bundle be located, and how should it be pulled
into the app?

I think we're all leaning towards i18n being a feature of Templating
specifically (at least for the first impl).  In that case, I think we
should either have one message bundle per module *or* one message bundle
per template.

Any votes?  I think I favor the former.

Should I be bringing in the bundle the same way the template itself is
included?  I don't know what that is yet, but I assume it's some sort of
GWT resource.  Alternatively it could be pulled down dynamically in some
way.  Are there concerns that doing the former will result in *all*
bundles (each language) being pulled down by the browser?  Or is there
some way to make sure that doesn't happen?

Thoughts?

Other random thoughts from me:

1) If we allow the i18n key to be specified in an annotation in Java
then, since templates *may* be used by multiple classes, there exists
the possibility that the same data-field in the template would result in
multiple keys to translate.  Maybe not a big deal - sounds like a
"Doctor, it hurts when I..." situation.
2) If we don't allow data-i18n in the template, then we would need to
@Inject a data-field just to change the i18n key name.
3) Not sure how easy it will be to generate the translation report @
compile time - though I agree it's a great feature.

-Eric