[errai-dev] Improving demos and getting started experience

Christian Sadilek csadilek at redhat.com
Wed Mar 27 11:24:47 EDT 2013

Hi everyone,

We've started an effort to improve our demos in Errai 3. More specifically we want to

- have a top level demo directory containing all demos
- make every demo a standalone project
- add documentation and getting started guides
- make sure all demos follow the JDF quickstart guidelines

We currently have 17 different demos and 5 archetypes in Errai! Needless to say that this is a huge maintenance burden, especially when adding the above requirements. So, I suggest that we go through these demos and have a quorum on their individual destinies ;). I expect that most of them will survive, but there are definitely some redundancies. We can start in tomorrows Errai hangout.

Here's the list of our demos and features they represent:

- AsyncDemo: MessageBuilder, conversational messages, simple client-server interactions using MessageCallbacks

- StressTest: MessageBuilder, UiBinder, performanc/load testing of Errai Bus.

- ClientService: MessageBuilder, broadcast messages

- HelloWorld: MessageBuilder, conversational messages

- QueryService: RPC using MessageBuilder

- RpcDemo: RPC using Caller<T>

- Serialization: MessageBuilder, conversational messages, Complex type serialization (@Portable types)

- StockDemo: MessageBuilder, broadcast and conversational messages

- CDI mobile demo: CDI events, broadcasts, Qualifiers, JSNI

- MVP demo: MVP pattern using the client-side bean manager

- Stock Demo: CDI events, JSNI interaction with external JS libraries (charting)

- CDI Stress Test: Performance/Load testing using CDI events

- TagCloud: CDI broadcasts and conversational events. JSNI interacting with jQuery.

- Rest Demo: Errai JAXRS support

- JPA demo basic: Errai JPA basic CRUD demo

- Todo List: Errai UI, Data Binding, client-side CDI, JPA

- Grocery List: CDI, JPA, UI, Data Binding, soon Data Sync, Validation, Twitter Bootstrap, Maps, GeoFencing,...

Archetypes:

- cdi-quickstart: simple hello world using CDI events

- bus-quickstart: simple hello world using MessageBuilder

- jaxrs-quickstart: simple CRUD demo using Caller<T> and JAX-RS endpoints

- kitchensink: CRUD app based on famous JBoss kitchensink, Errai RPC, bean validation, CDI events

- kitchensink-cordova: same as above but mobile enabled (and support for taking picture)

Cheers,
Christian