[errai-dev] Errai UI i18n Approach & Questions

Christian Sadilek csadilek at redhat.com
Wed Mar 27 17:05:03 EDT 2013

I am starting to believe a slight deviation of the proposal will avoid this problem.

- We could introduce a convention for the module's bundle name (e.g. errai-constants or errai-i18n)

- The name can be overwritten using the @Bundle annotation on the EntryPoint but that would be optional then

- We'd aggregate these module bundles

- In the templates it makes sense to prefix the keys anyways which will avoid duplicates (e.g. orderform.customer.name instead of just name)

- In case of duplicates we can fail at compile time (when processing a template and finding an actual name clash)

- We'd also allow the @Bundle annotation on templates to specify a template-specific bundle. This makes sense for templates having tons of fields. So, one wouldn't end up with a huge bundle file which is hard to maintain. It will also solve the problem where duplicates can't be avoided (e.g. 2 different order forms).

So, we'd still have one bundle per module by default but add the flexibility to specify template-specific bundles if needed. We'd aggregate the module bundles of all inherited modules, so the lookup doesn't have to worry about finding the bundle in the corresponding module (or super module). This also allows for the introduction of a super bundles that define values like OK, Cancel etc. in multiple languages.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
Christian