[esb-dev] build error

Tom Fennelly tom.fennelly at jboss.com
Thu Jun 28 07:45:19 EDT 2007

Kevin Conner wrote:
> If we had the time to spend then I would agree, in fact my vote would be
> a move to maven ;)

Yeah, what we should have done last July ;-)
> As things stand, an issue has been raised over the time the build takes
> to run.  We can choose to rewrite it totally or just patch it up but our
> time is the main constraint.  We may be able to put a 'band aid' on the
> current build to alleviate this issue without spending too much time.

My son (4) cut his hand last Saturday after a fall off his bike.  I had
a pain in the behind sticking plasters on it.  He was never happy and
the plaster never seemed to sort the real problem out.

Can't we just leave it if we can't sort it properly at this stage?  I'm
fed up with band aids :-)

>> The product/build.xml has 33 targets in it >:o .  As I see it, the whole
>> thing is overly hierarchical with build.xml files at nearly every level
>> + separate build.xml files for testing etc.  Many of the property names
>> are so long that it becomes very difficult to distinguish between them.
>> I think we're overly fixated with trying to make the build scripts super
>> intelligent ala "I want to be able to run any target and have the build
>> figure out what else needs to be run" resulting in every target being
>> dependent on every other target up and down the build.
>>

> Having the build files being hierarchical is not really the issue,
Well, I can't agree with you on that one :-)  In theory, they may not be
the problem, but they're making them more difficult to follow, which
does result in the whole thing becoming brittle over time.
> it is
> just an artifact of the way the codebase has evolved.
+1 to that, but I think the basic structure has not helped us to evolve
it in a controlled way because people are afraid of it because they're
jumping from Billy to Jack trying to comprehend the flow of the scripts.
> Having a common
> base build file would also alleviate the issue of having different build
> files for tests etc and make it almost irrelevant.

+1

--
Red Hat:
Registered Address: Red Hat Ltd, Brian O' Donnell and Partners, 62 Merrion Square, Dublin 2, Ireland.