[forge-dev] [forge-users] faq?

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 13:31:12 EDT 2011

Hey that's awesome! I hope this is a fun thing to work on, and not just an
annoyance :) I'll try to help wherever possible.

First.. you'll need an account on http://github.com, then you'll need git:
http://git-scm.com/

Then you'll want to fork the repository on github:
https://github.com/forge/plugin-hibernate-tools This will create a copy of
the code in your account, you'll do all of your work on that fork, then
submit a "Pull Request" when you want to push the code up to the master
repository. I can help you with that later if you are not familiar with Git.

Do you need a git quickstart?

There is a formal contribution guide here, but I wouldn't worry about this
except for agreeing to the JBoss CLA (I really don't know why we require
this, for legal protection I guess.)

http://seamframework.org/Documentation/SeamForge#H-Contribute

If you are using Forge Alpha3 and don't need to debug live, then you don't
need to build Forge from source... so you can just build and test the plugin
while forge runs, like so:

$ forge source-plugin /path/to/plugin/project/folder

This will build and load your plugin dynamically (assuming it builds :)

You'll probably want to join forge-dev, just in case you want to ask more
questions about the development itself :)

I believe max is saying you'll need to build hibernate-tools (
https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-tools) locally and add it to the
plugin POM, but I went ahead and deployed a snapshot so all you'll need to
do is add this to the plugin POM:
https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/groups/public/org/hibernate/hibernate-tools/3.4.0.CR2-SNAPSHOT/

While working on the plugin project in forge:

>  $ project add-dependency org.hibernate:hibernate-tools:3.4.0.CR2-SNAPSHOT

I think I found the plugin code, max is this right?

https://github.com/maxandersen/forge/blob/htools/persistence-plugin/src/main/java/org/jboss/seam/forge/persistence/plugins/GenerateEntities.java

That just needs to be copied over into this new plugin project and updated
to use the new forge APIs, andI think all of the Inject project instance
stuff can be replaced by @Inject private Project project;

I hope this is good information,
~Lincoln

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM, brian <brianx at vt.edu> wrote:

> ok i've got a green light.  where do i start?
>
> On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 17:31 +0200, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> > I'll take a stab on getting it over there - will be traveling and doing a
> few presentations the next cpl weeks so can't give guaranteed ETA right now.
> >
> > If anyone else looks at it just let me know if any questions/issues and I
> should be able to easily answer/point in right direction.
> >
> > /max
> >
> > On Apr 7, 2011, at 17:09, Lincoln Baxter, III wrote:
> >
> > > I think if someone can get this up and running as a first attempt in a
> Git repo (to enable easy installation) I think this would quickly gain
> support and contributors.
> > >
> > > I've created a git repository in which this plugin should live:
> https://github.com/forge/plugin-hibernate-tools . If either of you would
> like to work on it, let me know and I can add you as team-members on that
> repo.
> > >
> > > Max, could you do me a favor and just put the plugin stuff you already
> started in there? It can compile or not, I just need to see what you've got.
> Give me the ingredients and we can do some baking.
> > >
> > > ~Lincoln

> development. We actually have it working, but the plugin was never released
> or updated for Alpha3. Actually, I think Max has things mostly done, if
> you're interested you might be able to get it working pretty easily using
> the plugin writing section of the guide:
> > > >

> http://docs.jboss.org/forge/1.0.0.Alpha3/reference/en-US/html_single/#forge.plugin.dev

> Is Hibernate-tools in maven yet?
> > >
> > > It's just a matter of someone lending a hand and willing to work on it.
> > >
> > > The code is utterly simple, just need someone to help maintain it. "it"
> being hibernatetools + forge integration.
> > >
> > > /max

> database
> gen

> be