[forge-dev] forge on osgi

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 12:39:16 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 11:59, Lincoln Baxter, III
<lincolnbaxter at gmail.com>wrote:

> The reason I want to go toward JBoss Modules is because I think that we can
> get things working with absolutely 0 code changes required for plugin
> developers, and yes, also because it's a jboss project.

I have complete confidence that JBoss Modules [1] is the right way to go. It
may be young, but it has been very carefully designed by someone who has
crystal clear understanding of the problem. I'm not just saying that because
David's my respected colleague, it's backed up with proof in the form of AS
7, his blogs about modularity [2] [3] and the JBoss Modules presentation.
I've heard the JavaDoc are very good as well. [4]

If you haven't yet, I strongly recommend all of you to watch the
presentation on JBoss Modules from JUDCon [5], which was given by David by
his proxy, Jason Greene. It gives an overview of JBoss Modules, but more
importantly it explains how it relates to OSGi and Maven.

JBoss Modules truly is a good fit. Plus, Forge could really help get the
word out about the benefit of modularity in general.

-Dan

[1] https://github.com/jbossas/jboss-modules
[2] http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/ModularizedJavaWithJBossModules
[3]