[forge-dev] Spring Plugin for Forge

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 17:09:29 EST 2011

Hey Ryan,

Copying forge-dev so everyone can give thoughts. We (I) really need to get
the website up with the tutorials so things like this are more
straightforward. Sorry!

If you use the built-in "new-plugin" command, you get the POM creation
stuff for free. I don't see a reason to duplicate that. It'll basically
just give you a java maven project, which can then be customized using the
DependencyFacet, and other facets like JavaSourceFacet.

Mostly we don't assume we need to create projects, because we just operate
on a "new-project" or any other existing project.

For examples of this, take a look at the javaee-impl/ module in the forge
core/ project on GitHub. This is a pretty comprehensive example of the
intended architecture (facets to abstract functionality away from the
project, then plugins to interact with the facets.)

Glad to see this! Looking forward to doing some spring stuff!
~Lincoln

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 10:52 PM, Ryan Bradley <rbradley at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Lincoln,
>
> I'm not sure if you remember, but Marius introduced us at the JBoss
> face-to-face meeting in Toronto a few months ago.  I've just started
> working on a Forge plugin that can be used to create Spring web
> applications.
>
> However, Marius doesn't have much experience with the Forge API, so I was
> wondering if I could ask you a question.  I was wondering how I could use
> Forge to create and edit new files.  For example, when the user creates a
> new project, the plugin should create files such as a POM for the web app.
>  If there's a simple answer, or a good spot to look within the Forge core,
> that would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan

http://ocpsoft.com