[forge-dev] GitPlugin Facet

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 09:21:10 EDT 2012

Hey Jevgeni,

Welcome!

Regarding the GitFacet - I believe it's in the right place for the moment,
but I don't believe that the GitPlugin should be referencing it, since the
commands in GitPlugin could be used even without a Project.

GitFacet (as the issue describes poorly) is something that should be usable
to inspect the state of a Project via:

project.hasFacet(GitFacet.class)

After that, everything else is an added benefit. It should probably also
perform tasks like:

project.getFacet(GitFacet.class).getBranches()
project.getFacet(GitFacet.class).getTags()
project.getFacet(GitFacet.class).getRemotes()
project.getFacet(GitFacet.class).getStatus()

And that's where your imagination kicks in.

Does that make sense?

~Lincoln

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Jevgeni Zelenkov <
jevgeni.zelenkov at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Forge Developers,
>
> I am interested in the forge project, especially in git-related
> functionality. I am a CS student and I submitted a proposal to this
> year's google summer of code to implement a git powered undo
> functionality in forge, as mentioned in the FORGE-320 issue. Even though
> accepted proposals will be announced on Monday, April 23rd, I decided to
> dive into forge source code.
>
> A good starting point recommended by Lincoln, was FORGE-183. I created a
> git facet in the forge core project, under
> 'git-tools\src\main\java\org.jboss.forge.git\GitFacet' but I guess that
> is not the best place for it.
>
> Lincoln, you mentioned splitting the plugin in two parts. Could you
> please provide more details?
>
> Guys, if you have any ideas related to either FORGE-320 or FORGE-183,
> please let me know.
>
> Best regards,
> Jevgeni Zelenkov
>

> P.S.
> I will add ideas from my gsoc proposal into the FORGE-320 after the
> announcement on Monday.

http://ocpsoft.org
"Simpler is better."