[forge-dev] How to customize generation?

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 13:34:54 EST 2012

This sounds like something that would be really good for users. I guess I
just need to know what specifically you think this should look like, then
we can define an API or even just a config setting (using the new
configuration API) might be enough. Is this just a single directory?
Multiple? What does the layout look like? Do we want a configured path for
each image, stylesheet, and file, or will we look up children by a specific
file-name?

Thoughts?
~Lincoln

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 3:11 AM, Richard Kennard <
richard at kennardconsulting.com> wrote:

> I think this sounds like a great idea. It should probably be 'Forge-wide'
> rather than specific to the scaffolding, as I imagine other plugins might
> have a
> similar requirement. Lincoln can you define something?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard.
>
> On 23/12/2011 11:26 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> > In Hibernate Tools I had a notion of a template path (classpath is not
> appropriate for this IMO).
> >

> http://docs.jboss.org/tools/3.3.0.M5/en/hibernatetools/html_single/index.html
> >
> > Templatepath was a list of directories and we used the the classpath as
> the last fallback, meaning it would pickup the tools provided ones.
> >
> > I also went the "extra step" and placed these templates in "packages"
> a.k.a. sub directory to allow the different
> > template usages to be configured via just one template path.
> >
> > i.e. we had a view, pojo, hbm and a few others to separate them properly
> and to avoid name collisions.
> >
> > /max
> >
> > On Dec 23, 2011, at 06:20, Richard Kennard wrote:
> >
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> I've written up a bit of documentation for the scaffolding here:
> https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/FORGE/UI+Scaffolding
> >>
> >> But I have a question around the customization. Clearly, we have some
> nice template files like 'create.xhtml' and 'BackingBean.jv' which can be
> edited in
> >> any text editor. And we have a nice separation of the CSS/image files
> that can be replaced to change the look and feel.
> >>
> >> But how are we expecting people to 'get at' these files? Are they
> supposed to extend the existing scaffold plugin? Or open up the JAR and
> edit these files?
> >> Or can they be placed 'on the classpath' somehow such that they will be
> found before the ones in the scaffolding JAR? Or some other way?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard.
> > /max
> > http://about.me/maxandersen