[forge-dev] Data access logic used by scaffold code

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 02:15:03 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Dan Allen <dan.j.allen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 01:27, Jason Porter <lightguard.jp at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> As for the non dep idea, I can certainly understand where Lincoln and
>> Pete are coming from.
>

> I don't.

This is a support-driven requirement. There was a good deal of concern as
to what kind of libraries we wanted to "commit" to for a 5-7 year support
plan. This is why Seam and the other libraries were removed.

> I do wonder though if that would preclude us from creating a CDI extension
>> for rolling our own simple CRUD framework
>

> The one reasonable path I see here is working out the framework and then
> having Forge just spit it out into the project. (I know that will turn
> Richard's stomach). But then, it's easy to nuke that package and add the
> dep...likely update the imports to use the right package too. In fact,
> *that* could be a Forge plugin. It would be called

There are always multiple paths, just like we can always have multiple
scaffold providers. Open to extension - We can't, and I would argue that we
shouldn't, drop the pure EE scaffold, but we can certainly add more, and
enhance the way in which plugins can inter-operate with the generated
scaffold. That's the area where I think we should be focusing, instead of
thinking "straight up replacement." What we have is a good foundation.
Let's build onto it, not bulldoze and rebuild it :)

> forge> leave-javaee-purist-mode

Also remember that what Richard has done with purist java EE is very
impressive! The main thing that's missing is security, and that's something
that's just not there in EE. (And wasn't a requirement for the scaffold.)

> :)
>
> -Dan

http://ocpsoft.com
http://scrumshark.com