[forge-dev] What to do about our little Windows joke...?

James Perkins jperkins at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 16:18:11 EDT 2012

I found the joke funny, but if I had to see it every time it would get
annoying.

The fact is a joke will always bother/offend someone no matter what it
is. Some people are just too sensitive IMO. Others may not have a choice
in the OS they use at work and it might be a sad reminder they *have* to
use Windows. Really Windows isn't the issue as much of it's horrid (lack
of) command prompt.

I do agree with George that the OS information would be a good idea.

And not to get too off topic, but when I tested the AS 7 plugin on
Windows it wasn't nearly as nice as it was on Linux and OS X. Tab
complete didn't work for the most part. Not sure if that's a jline thing
or a Forge thing though. Command history didn't seem to work either.

On 07/24/2012 11:58 AM, Lincoln Baxter, III wrote:
> Hey everyone... we've recently gotten some critical feedback about our
> little "Windows? Really? Ok..." joke.
>
> https://community.jboss.org/message/749952#749952
>
> What are your thoughts? Perhaps we could make this a little less
> targeted by turning it into more of a pluggable feature, where
> different messages show up randomly based on runtime conditions?
>
> Like sometimes it might say, "Just 32 bits?" or "Sun still makes
> Java?" or "Linux... nice... does your family know?" or "OSX? What is a
> lion, anyway?"
>
> Would like to hear ideas. But I certainly don't want to give up the
> character :)
>
> --
> Lincoln Baxter, III
> http://ocpsoft.org