[forge-dev] Checking in

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Thu May 17 11:44:02 EDT 2012

Hey Jevgeni,

I'm copying the dev list because this is a public question. (Please try to
do this on all communications unless it is something private :) That way we
can all help and discuss.

So, really FORGE-183 is open-ended, but in general it's meant to allow
projects to know when they contain a Git repository. You will need this
feature for the Git undo plugin.

My recommendation is to implement GitFacet in such a way that it will be
"installed" or "registered" if the project contains, or exists in, a git
repository. Then once you have done that, I'd start working on the
UndoPlugin and UndoFacet. You will quickly discover which other methods the
GitFacet needs to contain, and we can discuss on the dev list in order to
make sure the design is as good as we can get it.

Sound good?
~Lincoln

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Jevgeni Zelenkov <
jevgeni.zelenkov at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Lincoln,
>
> I was unable to finish with the FORGE-183 issue. I don't have a clear
> idea of what exacly needs to be done. GitPlugin, GitFacet and GitUtils
> classes are already present. Should I make sure, that GitPlugin only
> calls GitFacet or GitUtils methods and that GitUtils never returns
> jGit-related classes?
> It feels like I should not submit any concrete undo-plugin related
> method implementations as a part of FORGE-183. That should be a
> different issue.
> Is it even the right thing to do, to concentrate on FORGE-183 so much?
> Should I just start coding features and deal with FORGE-183 later?
> (FORGE-183 looks like refactoring to me now)
>

> Best regards,
> Jevgeni
>
> On 5/16/12, Lincoln Baxter, III <lincolnbaxter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Jevgeni,
> >
> > Just checking in to see how your vacation was :) Are you ready to get
> > started on your super Git undo plugin? :)
> >
> > --
> > Lincoln Baxter, III
> > http://ocpsoft.org
> > "Simpler is better."