[forge-dev] Forge 1.1.0.Final

Paul Bakker paul.bakker.nl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 02:17:54 EDT 2012

Hi George,

The problem is that the "marketing" version and semantic version are not separated cleanly. With marketing version I mean "you must see this release, it has a new version number so there is a lot of new stuff!" (nothing wrong with that). A semantic version just says something about wether APIs are broken or not. The plugin system now tries to use the version as a semantic version; should or shouldn't the plugin be compatible with this release?
Semantic versioning is something described by the OSGi alliance, but can be used in any versioning scheme (we have discussed this before on the mailinglist). It is defined as follows:

1. major — Packages with versions that have different major parts are not compatible both for providers as
well as consumers. For example, 1.2 and 2.3 are completely incompatible.
2. minor — API consumers are compatible with exporters that have the same major number and an equal or
higher minor version. API providers are compatible with exporters that have the same major and minor
version number. For example, 1.2 is backward compatible with 1.1 for consumers but for providers it is
incompatible. Consumers should therefore import [1.2,2) and providers should import [1.2,1.3).
3. micro — A difference in the micro part does not signal any backward compatibility issues. The micro
number is used to fix bugs that do not affect either consumers or providers of the API.
4. qualifier — The qualifier is usually used to indicate a build identity, for example a time stamp. Different
qualifiers do not signal any backward compatibility issues.

So the question is: are there any APIs changed related to plugins? In the case of plugins they will be mostly consumers (plugins use Forge APIs, but won't implement them most of the time) so only major changes (that break consumers) matter.

The minor version update we want to do for this Forge version implies that consumers (plugins) will not be broken. First of all we should decide if this is correct or not, but I expect it is. Next I think it would make sense the plugin system to only look at major version changes, because that's when plugins will break.

Cheers,

Paul