[forge-dev] Improving the performance of weld for micro-deployments.

Jozef Hartinger jharting at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 16:49:09 EST 2013

I worked on Weld's bootstrap performance about 6 months ago but the
focus was mainly on large deployments. I am not aware of any obvious
bottlenecks that would get into the way of micro deployments. If you
could do a further analysis that would be great.

As for guava showing up in the stats, a lot of work Weld does is done
within computing maps (e.g. reading metadata using reflection, etc.) so
you would need to get more in depth here.

Weld uses its own thread pool for concurrent loading, deployment and
validation of beans. Furthermore, there is a service that pre-resolves
extension observer methods in multiple additional threads. The thread
pool sizes default to a configuration that should utilize the most of
CPU in cases when a single Weld instance is running. However, in your
environment where multiple Weld instances are booting at the same time
this may actually harm performance. As a first step I would suggest
disabling concurrent deployment and the preloader or playing with thread
pool sizes to see if it changes anything.

See
http://docs.jboss.org/weld/reference/2.0.0.Beta3/en-US/html/configure.html#d0e5936
for how this is configured. Note that you'll need to wait for Beta3 as
the configuration options have changed recently.