[forge-dev] Forge Scaffold x-Project { Aerogear, Arquillian, Errai, Java EE, RichFaces, Spring } - inputs and meetings

Thomas Frühbeck fruehbeck at aon.at
Wed Mar 6 11:08:07 EST 2013

Can you please point out the locations of the respective scaffold
plugins you refer to, and give some introduction to the direction of
planned development.
I read from the meeting transcript:
     - extendable templates to prevent scaffold duplication
     - conventions must be established
     - scaffold generate tests

Knowing Faces, Aerogear plugins and my proposed Errai plugin quite well
I find it somewhat amusing to see them all be based on frameworks and
provide some extendability, yet each in a very distinct and not very
congruent way - perhaps my bad?
During building my Errai plugin I found it e.g. difficult to implement
thorough type safety and entity relationships when the calls of the
scaffold are either per single file/entity ("generateFromEntity") or for
all files/entities ("generateIndex"), both not so well suited for
handling of _relationships_.

Furthermore the development models are interestingly far apart:
     - Faces: unsafe JSP + converters/handlers/_named_ beans + server side
     - Errai: compile time type safety, intensive integrity validation,
client side optimizations

e.g.
     - the Errai compilation would fail, if a "Form"Composite declared a
widget that is not found in its HTML template, thus enforcing the HTML
template be generated _together_ with its "Form"Composite
     - by _re_building only _one_ entity (generateFromEntity) in Errai
the generated code would possibly fail miserably w/o rebuilding also its
related entities

Honestly I found myself frequently in the miserable position to rebuild
the complete entity model because of interdependencies. Anyway, while
writing these lines I find interesting possibilities to decouple code
for more flexibility :-)

I am very interesting in evolving my plugin, so I hope you can give some
idea about the planned templating etc.
If there are not yet clear directions I am ready to scetch out the main
issues I encountered for open discussions.

Thomas