[forge-dev] Several architectural styles in Forge (was Wondering about coding convention)

Antonio Goncalves antonio.mailing at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 04:39:41 EDT 2013

2013/10/21 Vineet Reynolds Pereira <vpereira at redhat.com>

> IMHO we should not be putting persistence concerns in either the JSF beans
> or the REST resources.
> They should go into a service or a repository or whatever data access
> pattern is suitable for the context.
> This is where we lack any standardization at the moment, and it would be
> better to not limit this exercise to improving the conventions alone, but
> also the architecture.

Vineet, this is the topic I'm writing about at the moment. To be honest, I
quite like to have persistent concerns in JSF beans and REST for certain
projects... but not all, and that's where I thing Forge should give some
choices. What I'm writing is about having 3 different architectural styles
that could be resume like this (using CLI) :

*Current* (generates JSF/REST from entities) :
jsf-scaffold-from-entity
rest-scaffold-from-entity

*EJB Centric* (add a service layer to deal with persistence) :
ejb-scaffold-from-entity
jsf-scaffold-from-ejb
rest-scaffold-from-ejb

*REST centric* (the JSF backing beans use the REST endpoint, using JAX-RS
2.0 Client API) :
rest-scaffold-from-entity
jsf-scaffold-from-rest

I will let you know when the post is written, it will be clearer

--
Antonio Goncalves
Software architect and Java Champion

Web site <http://www.antoniogoncalves.org/> |