[forge-dev] [aerogear-dev] iOS Scaffolding

Corinne Krych corinnekrych at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 03:11:36 EST 2014

On 18 Feb 2014, at 18:05, Sebastien Blanc <scm.blanc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks !
>
> While I was watching Matzew's screencast[1] about using the AeroGear iOS Template (which bootstrap/help to create a new iOS project) I was thinking about pushing the concept even further.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to be able to scaffold a complete CRUD Native iOS app ? And of course by using the bullets we already have  :  Forge.

You would generate server and client side at once?

> The idea would be to have the same stuff as the HTML5 Scaffolding plugin/addon but instead of generating JS and html files we generate *.h and *.m files (and of course a complete iOS app structure). The general workflow would stay the same : create a JEE project, generate entities, generate REST endpoints and scaffold the client.
>
> So basically all we would have to do is to write those templates (+ some code to write to the correct location / create the skeleton).

I would start with an app generated with iOS template for simple Pipe, and then add to it. See my questions below.

> I will be glad to start on this but I would need some help from the iOS gurus for one thing : having a clean iOS CRUD App  from which I could reverse engineer/extract the templates. This app, while staying simple, should contain all the possible use cases : String, numbers, boolean, Date but also some relation between entities  (1-to-1, 1-to-many) :

With Pipes and Stores, we use more a Key/Value approach. Not sure what you have in mind to represent relation.

In term of UI what do you want to see?
first screen: Team TableView with static table cell, Players and Tournaments cell link to second screen TableView
second screen: Player TableView with a list of player displaying only name, selecting a player will go to third screen Player details
third screen: Player Details static table view with date display etc…

Then we might need a descriptive/configurable way of saying to forge this is my main screen, on that list display ‘player name’ etc…
What’s your view on that?

> I started with this simple idea :
> Team {
>   name : String
>   hasMany : Player
>   hasMany: Tournamenent // many-to-many
>  }
>
> Player {
> name : String
> dateOfBirth: Date
> injured: boolean
> hasOne : Team
> }
>
> Tournament {
>  name: String
>  price : number
>  hasMany: Team
> }
>

> The gist is here https://gist.github.com/sebastienblanc/9074932
>
> So, if anyone would like to create this app, I could start from there with a first draft. I will also try on my side but my objective-c skills are not really good enough right now ;)

team work :)

> I think that could be a very cool feature.
>
> A last very important remark : you can reread this message and replace iOS with Android because once we got it shaped for iOS we could do exactly the same for Android.

make sense