[forge-dev] New shell feedback

Ivan St. Ivanov ivan.st.ivanov at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 16:52:50 EST 2014

Hey George, Stale,

I did some debugging in Forge, Aesh and even Jansi sources. Before that, I
tried to change the color of the current folder name when creating the
prompt:

// in org.jboss.forge.addon.shell.ShellImpl::createPrompt()

         for (char c : currentResource.getName().toCharArray())
         {
            prompt.add(new TerminalCharacter(c, new
TerminalColor(Color.GREEN, Color.DEFAULT)));
         }

So I expect that as a result of that, all of the characters of the current
directory name would be green. However it is only the first character.
After some more debugging, I found that for a directory called *forge* the
ANSI string passed to the Jansi library
is: [forge]$ (there is an ESC symbol
character before each [). As far as I got it, those constants 39, 32, etc.
denote the foreground (i.e. character) color. So, the question now is:

Do you have to set the foreground color once and then it is valid for all
the next characters before you set it again, or you have to set it for
every character in the ANSI string. I think that Aesh's logic follows the
first approach, so is this correct? I'm afraid
Jansi's AnsiOutputStream.write(int) method is a too complex FSM for me in
this late hour, so I stopped there :)

What else bothers me is the ordering of the style and color constants for
the first character of the prompt. Shouldn't it be the other way round
(first the style and then the color)?

Cheers,
Ivan