[forge-dev] Add vs New

George Gastaldi ggastald at redhat.com
Sat Mar 14 10:18:40 EDT 2015

I've been thinking about that yesterday and I think it's possible.
Even though we have the 'alias' command in shell, that doesn't apply for GUI envs.

It would be nice if we could define an alternative name (or alias) in the command itself.

I'd prefer that only the new command name is shown when <TAB> or the list of commands is invoked in the IDE, but making the old command name still work if typed directly.

> Em 14/03/2015, às 08:21, Max Rydahl Andersen <manderse at redhat.com> escreveu:
>
>> On 13 Mar 2015, at 15:10, George Gastaldi wrote:
>>
>> That makes sense, however renaming these commands will break existing
>> scripts. This should be something to be considered for Forge 3.x
>
> does forge 2 not have a notion of aliases or similar that could be used
> to create uniformity but still be backwards compatible ?
>
> /max
>

>>> Em 13/03/2015, às 19:00, Antonio Goncalves
>>> <antonio.mailing at gmail.com> escreveu:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm a bit particular on wording because I think that the right word
>>> makes things easier for the new comer. I'm implementing a new UI
>>> command to add an injection point to a class. So, the name of the
>>> command would be cdi-add-injection-point. But then I started to have
>>> a look at the other xxx-add-yyy commands :
>>>
>>> addon-add-dependency
>>> project-add-dependencies
>>> project-add-managed-dependencies
>>> project-add-repository
>>> java-add-annotation
>>> constraint-add
>>>
>>> They all add something, into something already existing. If we take
>>> this definition for granted, shouldn't the following commands be
>>> renamed add instead of new :
>>>
>>> jpa-new-named-query
>>> cdi-new-conversation
>>> java-new-enum-const