[forge-dev] Multitenancy for Forge as a Service

George Gastaldi ggastald at redhat.com
Tue Jan 31 19:00:50 EST 2017

Hey Andrew,

Yes, this is a really important question, and it's something that I believe
that the Forge architecture supports out-of-the-box. Every interaction with
the UI API (the Forge commands, per say) is stored in a request-scoped
UIContext[1] object that is initialized when a command is invoked and
destroyed when the command finishes executing. That means that you can
execute multiple concurrent commands in a single Forge instance and they
will not affect each other.

When it comes to security, as a good practice, it is important to restrict
the commands that the exposed REST service can execute.
That's why in the Obsidian backend[2] we only expose a REST endpoint[3]
consuming the Forge API to execute a limited number of commands (more
specifically, the ones exposed by the obsidian-addon[4])

Last but not least, as the Forge Online app is just a PoC illustrating how
Forge can work in a web environment, it does not impose restrictions to the
supported commands, therefore it shouldn't be a web app to be used in
production.

PS: It would be nice to ping the Fabric8 team for this matter as they are
already using Forge as their project generator solution for a long time now.

I hope this helps. Looking forward to this list of requirements and happy
to discuss about this anytime.

[1] -
https://github.com/forge/core/tree/master/ui#uicommand-execution-lifecycle
[2] - https://github.com/obsidian-toaster/generator-backend