[forge-users] Scaffolding in Forge 2.x (was Beta5 next Monday ?)

Antonio Goncalves antonio.mailing at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 12:46:00 EST 2014

Scaffolding is really confusing. To scaffold my JSF pages I first need to
install scaffolding :

forge -i scaffold

And then, once in Forge I do :

scaffold-setup
scaffold-generate --targets org.test.model.Customer

And it generates JSF pages. Nowhere I see any mention of JSF in the
previous commands. These commands could have generated REST endpoint, EJBs,
AngularJS....

First, I really don't see the difference between scaffolding and code
generation (I've mention that before). So, for me, as a user,
jpa-new-entity is a command that generates code, just like
scaffold-generate. But if we clarify this, users might get use to it.

When I type forge -i scaffold, it installs plenty of stuff. Does this mean
it installs all the available scaffolding addons (JSF, REST, AngularJS,
Arquillian...) ? If not, I don't know what it installed. Why don't we have
:

forge -i scaffold-jsf
forge -i scaffold-jpa
forge -i scaffold-rest
forge -i scaffold-soap

or even better if we follow the new naming convention

forge -i jsf-scaffold
forge -i jpa-scaffold
forge -i rest-scaffold
forge -i soap-scaffold

Again, when I type scaffold-generate I really don't know what will happen.
Because scaffolding and generating are the same for me. So command
scaffold-generate sounds like generate-generate or scaffold-scaffold. Why
not having :

jsf-scaffold  --targets org.test.model.Customer
jpa-scaffold  --dbName myDB --jdbcDriver org.apache.derby.Client
rest-scaffold  --targets org.test.model.Customer
soap-scaffold  --targets org.test.model.Customer

What do you think ?
Antonio