[gatein-dev] Favicon - Request for comments (and suggestions)

Juraci Paixão Kröhling jpkroehling at redhat.com
Thu Nov 28 10:40:38 EST 2013

All,

We have a request to display a specific favicon for JBoss Portal, and it
seems there's no "easy" (or correct) solution in place for that right now.

The first intuitive solution would be to override the templates, to make
them link to the desired favicon. This doesn't scales, as the whole
template is duplicated and it will only cause headaches in the future.

The second possible solution would be to incorporate the path to the
favicon into the properties file, but this means having a fixed path to
the favicon, which is a step backwards from what there is today: in one
of the templates for /portal, it gets the favicon for the context path,
so, if the current portal is /example-portal, it currently gets the
favicon at /example-portal/favicon . With the favicon coming from the
properties file, this would not be the case anymore, as all favicons
would be coming from a fixed path.

The third solution would be to build a FaviconService, that would take
care of determining the proper favicon path. It sounds to me that this
is a bit of overkill, but would be a clean solution.

Of course, the best option would be to be possible to override the
favicon from /portal, but this doesn't seems to be possible at the
moment. It seems that only templates are overriden.

Before proceeding with the third solution (which seems the most
desirable as of now), I would like to get your comments, opinions and
suggestions on how this could be better handled.

Best Regards,
Juca.