[hal-release-stream] Using SNAPHOT Versions of Extensions in HAL

Rob Cernich rcernich at redhat.com
Wed Oct 30 10:50:30 EDT 2013

Hey Heiko,

Thanks for the info.  Comments inline.

> On Oct 21, 2013, at 6:13 PM, Rob Cernich <rcernich at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey HAL,
> >
> > I was wondering if there is a process for producing a HAL build which
> > includes a SNAPSHOT version of a particular extension.  For example, how
> > would I incorporate an interim version of the SwitchYard extension into
> > HAL?
> >

> Do a snapshot release and send us a PR to update the dependencies?

Does that mean I would have to request a new HAL build every time the SY snapshot was built too?

> > For SwitchYard, I could create a Maven module in our release project that
> > builds HAL, but specifies the snapshot version of the SwitchYard
> > extension.  In that case, I'm not sure what version I should specify for
> > HAL.
>
> Depends on the EAP/Wildfly version you target. For anything EAP 6.2.x or WF
> 8.0.x use the latest release-stream master. It does rely on Core 2.0.x and
> includes the access control SPI (mandatory).

Thanks for the info, but I did some more investigating and I don't think the approach I was looking at is feasible.

> > That leads to my next question: What happens when SY is released?  The way
> > I understand things is that I would need to release the SY extension, wait
> > for a new release of HAL, then release the SY distribution, which would
> > incorporate the new HAL release (as opposed to the internally build
> > SNAPSHOT module).  Does that sound about right?
> >

> Sounds about right yes. Just make sure you pick the right release stream for
> the HAL console that matches the SY release.
>
> Are there any upcoming releases we assist with?

I'll probably be issuing a PR to update SY to 1.1 for the 1.5.x branch in the next week or two.