[Hawkular-dev] Ways to Test Availability Down?

mike thompson mithomps at redhat.com
Thu Apr 9 22:33:47 EDT 2015

> On 9 Apr 2015, at 19:24, mike thompson <mithomps at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> I guess this question is mainly targeted to Hawkular QE. So all of my testing (especially on a dev box) shows availability 100% (as most sites will). So while I can mock this in code to show downtime and unknown. It appears that we need a consistent way to demonstrate up/down/unknown/whatever else. Is there a QE way to do this currently?
>
> I’m thinking a mock site that changes states every 5 or 10 minutes that is publicly available. This way we could all link our integration tests to this site to provide full coverage of states(and there could be other availability states like I have mentioned in other Hawkular ML mails).
>
> The use case I want to add is as a developer I want to test all availability states within a half hour (or whatever timeframe, but as everything waits on tests passing less is better) by pulling in certain site(s).
>
> Ideas?
This can be as simple as having a servlet that cycles through response codes 2xx, 404, 5xx in a predictable manner. (content is irrelevant on status codes matter so should be easy). This way we could expect http status codes to change every 5 minutes: '12:00' -> ‘up’, 12:05 -> ‘down’, ’12:10’ -> ‘unknown’. So that it changes in a predictable way.

Anyway, just an idea…

Obviously, if this idea is legit, it can expanded in may different ways down in the future.