[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular-113

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Mon Apr 13 17:11:19 EDT 2015

Just a note about a workaround pushed to master for
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HAWKULAR-113.   The root cause may or
may not be the same as for HWKMETRICS-47, it's not clear, but the
behavior is similar.  After a lot of research we can see that invoking
concurrent, asynchronous EJB methods, that perform rest posts to
metrics, can hang the threads in WFly 8.2 (used by Kettle).

So, beware the @Asynchronous annotation on pooled EJBs, if the method is
performing posts.  With no obvious fix, the only choice I could see was
to workaround the issue, and make the method synchronous.

This was the issue where if you were to add multiple urls to Hawkular,
you would quickly end up with all URLs reporting DOWN and basically the
application was locked up, with a bunch of hanging threads.

Jay