[Hawkular-dev] Another perspective on Availability

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Wed Apr 15 02:55:52 EDT 2015

On 7 Apr 2015, at 19:40, mike thompson wrote:

> I found this view of availability interesting from open source
> monitoring project: CachetHQ(https://cachethq.io/
> <https://cachethq.io/>)
>
> Perhaps we might want to incorporate these ideas of component status
> versus incident status.

I think this is another example of computed resource state.
Where some function analysis incoming data and then computes
those.

> Operational

This probably corresponds to "UP" in out terms.

> Performance Issues
>
> The component is experiencing some slowness.
>
> 3
>
> Partial Outage

Both are sort of "WARN", that we do not directly have on the
radar for a single resource yet, but more in the sense of mixed
state. I agree, that it could be good to give the admin an idea
of some sub-variants of "WARN" to convey more information
directly in the state.

> Incident Status

This is completely orthogonal to the above. As e.g. "scheduled" sort of
"overrides" in the sense that we know that a resource may be down of
affected during maintenance.

> Scheduled

=> Maintenance mode

> Investigating
>
> You have reports of a problem and you're currently looking into them.

Sub-division of "acknowledged"

> 2
>
> Identified
>
> You've found the issue and you're working on a fix.

Another sub-variant of acknowledged

> 3
>
> Watching
>
> You've since deployed a fix and you're currently watching the
> situation.

Dito to me

> Fixed
>
> The fix has worked, you're happy to close the incident.

This is probably more like "closed" -- and could be even triggered by
recovery alerts (forgot how we call them now - safety mode?)