[Hawkular-dev] is it time for a bom? or for version definitions in parent pom?

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Tue Dec 15 10:12:44 EST 2015

I just released the wildfly agent (0.13.7.Final) and I just realized I may not have moved things up to the latest releases of its dependencies.

It would be really nice now if we had something (even if its just versions in the parent pom) that defines the latest releases that components should be using because right now, how many of our pom.xml files have things like this:

    <version.org.hawkular.accounts>1.1.1.Final</version.org.hawkular.accounts>
    <version.org.hawkular.bus>0.7.3.Final</version.org.hawkular.bus>
    <version.org.hawkular.cmdgw>0.10.4.Final</version.org.hawkular.cmdgw>
    <version.org.hawkular.commons>0.2.3.Final</version.org.hawkular.commons>
    <version.org.hawkular.inventory>0.9.0.Final</version.org.hawkular.inventory>
    <version.org.hawkular.metrics>0.10.0.Final</version.org.hawkular.metrics>

It would be nice if we aren't required to set these (but we could override them, right? if we want to try out a different version than what the parent pom defines).

This would make releasing easier. We just comment out all the <version...> entries in all our pom.xml files (if they are there at all), thus falling back to what the parent-pom has defined. Or maybe we build a bom?? I dunno - all I know is, there is going to come a time when something breaks because "uh-oh, this component built on version x.y.z of metrics, but THIS component built on version a.b.c of metrics".