[Hawkular-dev] versioning schema

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Fri Dec 18 18:57:33 EST 2015

Hi Stefan, inline...

On 2015-12-18 16:37, Stefan Negrea wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the late reply but .Final-SNAPSHOT is not good for many reasons.

Three is not many ;)

> First, the page below [1] has an implicit version for -SNAPSHOT by the virtue of "major.minor.micro.TIMESTAMP-Mn". .Final or any other moniker added (eg. .Beta) after the actual version and before -SNAPSHOT, will break the versioning for the timed snapshots.

My curiosity: What are timed SNAPSHOTs good for? Are you using them for
something?

> Second, it really makes the -SNAPSHOT moniker obsolete, because we will never have .Beta-SNAPSHOT (or if we do we will confuse absolutely everybody).

Assuming "we" is the whole Hawkular (rather than Metrics alone):
(1) we can well have .BetaN-SNAPSHOT, I have no problem with that.
(2) 1.2.3.Beta1-SNAPSHOT is not confusing at all. It sets the proper
expectation what the next release will be. It will namely be 1.2.3.Beta1
which says something important about the delivered quality.

> So we might as well not use .SNAPSHOT at all and switch to use exclusively the labels in the document. And third, it just makes the version unnecessarily long since it does not provide any more context to potential users.

It does add more info to potential users: It makes clear what the next
release will be.

> I totally agree with mandating the released version numbers to be in accordance with the JBoss standards. But let's keep the -SNAPSHOT version as short as possible (x.y.z-SNAPSHOT).

The bottom line is, that the Alpha|Beta|CR|Final part was made optional
for SNAPSHOT versions in HK parent [2]. I have no plans to propose to
revert that change because what matters is the naming scheme for
releases, which is defined separately [3] and that one is just OK.

To add some context for those ones curious why I did [2]: There is a
perf job at QA's Jenkins that expects .Final-less version strings in
Metrics and I wanted my PR [4] not to be blocked by that and there
seemed to exist nobody to fix the Jenkins job fast enough.

[2]
https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-parent-pom/commit/aa917af4c2628a5660ff03a2290525db483efb46
[3] https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-parent-pom/blob/31/pom.xml#L1046
[4] https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-metrics/pull/418