[Hawkular-dev] Time for BoM

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Mon Feb 2 07:45:38 EST 2015

Hi *,

now that hk projects start to switch to jboss logging, it seems to be
inevitable to introduce the internal BoM in some form.

The task is basically to manage the common dependencies (such as
jboss-logging) of hk projects in a central place.

I see two options:

(a) put all to hawkular-parent

(b) introduce a new artifact called "hawkular-dep" in
hawkular-parent-pom repo. (I use "hawkular-dep" because "hawkular-bom"
should stay reserved for an "external BoM" that would contain only our
public APIs targeted at hawkular customers.)

Pros and cons

(b) is kind of cleaner, not mixing the build configuration with
dependency management. But I do not see any necessity in preferring (b)

With (a), it would be easier for the hk projects to consume the
depManagement (they would not need to import the BoM).

And even with (a), if a project cannot use hawkular-parent as its parent
for some reason, it still can import hawkular-parent in its
depentencyManagement as it would import any stock BoM.

I am going to try (a) if no one vetoes it within a reasonable time.

Thanks,

Peter