[Hawkular-dev] REST ideas

Libor Zoubek lzoubek at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 08:38:40 EST 2015

I'd like to bring

4. when returning collections from api. I think we should not stick with
simply returning an array of objects. When we in future realize we need to
include paging info or other helper data, we'd have to break the API and
transform the response to somethine like

{
  "result":[{....},{...}],
  "paging"...
}

Yes .. in case of paging, we can put it into HTTP headers, but for client
it is much easier to reach paging info from the response.

So simply wrapping returned array into response object does not hurt at
all, brings consistency (data is always provided under same key "result")
and extensibility.

I can see this trend in other projects - Foreman's moved to this concept
in REST APIv2, and ie. djangorestframework or Kodi.

Libor

Dne Wed, 11 Feb 2015 14:23:34 +0100 Viliam Rockai <vrockai at redhat.com>
napsal(a):

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at hawkular-inventory and I've got several comments (liveoak
> legacy) which could apply on other rest endpoints, too:
>
> 1. I think it would be easier to use/get if we make it more
> hierarchical. That means; instead of using two distinct URLs (resources
> vs. resource) for lists (/hawkular/inventory/rest-test/resources/) and
> entities (/hawkular/inventory/rest-test/resource/x1422733176502), we use
> only one (/hawkular/inventory/rest-test/resources/x1422733176502).
>
> 2. Sometimes, in the docs, attribute called "name" is used, and referred
> to, as an "id". Would it be possible and make sense to choose just one
> notation and use it in the representation?
>
> 3. Usage of methods: When you want to create a metric, you use the PUT
> method. What about unifying methods in some commonly used manner. Like
> post for create, put for edit?
>
> WDYT?
>
> Viliam

Libor Zoubek