[Hawkular-dev] Availability (Service and UI)

Thomas Heute theute at redhat.com
Fri Feb 13 07:01:04 EST 2015

Getting back to availability discussion...

To me availability is a set of periods, not so much "time series" and we
should just record change of status (closing the previous event and
opening a new one).

     - Server is up from 8:00am to 11:30am
     - Server is down from 11:30am to 11:32am
     - Server is unknown from 11:32am to 12:00pm (an agent running on a
machine can tell if a server is up or down, if the agent dies then we
don't know if the server is up or down)
     - Server is in erratic state from 12:00pm to 12:30pm (agent reports
down every few requests)

We were discussing the best way to represent availability over time in a
graph, representation in RHQ [1] is very decent IMO, can be extended
with more colors to reflect how often/long the website was down for each
"brick" (if the line represent a year with 52 blocks, 1 block can be
more or less red depending on how long it was done during the week).

But thinking of it more, availability graph is not that interesting by
itself IMO and more interesting in the context of other values.
I attached a mockup of what I meant, a red area is displayed on response
time graph, that means that the system is down, obviously there is no
response time reported anymore in that period. Earlier there is an
erratic area, seems related to higher response time ;) Rest of the time
the system is just up and running...

Additionally I would want to see reports of availability:
     - overall availability over a period of time (a day, a month, a
year...). "99.99% available in the past month"
     - lists of the down periods with start dates and duration for a
particular resource or set of resources (filtering options)

Thoughts ?

[1]
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0MsmG5h5i5E/TfjTMZlvx3I/AAAAAAAAABU/6PKDs0RlzuI/s1600/ProblemManagement-RHQ.png

Thomas