[Hawkular-dev] Metrics reporting into hawkular-metrics

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 05:01:28 EST 2015

Hey,

we need to have an endpoint that accepts a list of

<name, timestamp , value>  triples.

The current

@POST
@Path("/{tenantId}/metrics/numeric/data")
@Consumes(APPLICATION_JSON)
public void addNumericData(@Suspended final AsyncResponse asyncResponse, @PathParam("tenantId") String tenantId,
    List<NumericDataParams> paramsList) {

does not work (not technically).

A client (think "agent") will not send a list of dozens of metric values for one metric id. And then in a next request for another.
Especially not, when an agent is monitoring 10 resources and is then reporting their data. All reported metrics will have
a different id.

The other similarly challenged endpoint is

@POST
@Path("/{tenantId}/metrics/numeric/{id}/data")
@Consumes(APPLICATION_JSON)
public void addDataForMetric(@Suspended final AsyncResponse asyncResponse,
    @PathParam("tenantId") final String tenantId, @PathParam("id") String id, List<NumericDataPoint> dataPoints) {

The metric id is passed on the URL-Path and thus requires a new request per metric to report.

The above 2 endpoints may be consistent with their respective GET endpoints, but here we have the use case that I want
to read mass data for one single id.
Reporting use cases are different.